Once your contacts were imported from the contact list, you could create groups and send them mailings and SMS messages, and even create different segmentations.
Importing new contacts into the system could be performed in two ways:
- Copy/paste from Excel – this method is suitable for fast import without uploading files into the system. By using this method you can import up to several dozens of contacts.
- Import CSV files – this method is suitable for a large and organized contacts, importing multiple data and details of contacts and import a large database.
This guide is from four (4) sections
- Before importing – important points
- Step 1 CSV– date importing copy/paste from Excel or file importing
- Step 2 – choosing the group
- Step 3 – mapping the importing fields
Before importing – important points:
- Size: the recommended size of the Excel table is up to 10,000 records. The maximum allowed size of the CSV file that can be imported is up to 10MB
- Dates: any standard format of date is allowed to write. For example 27/04/2014 or 27.04.2014; or 27-047-2014. It’s very important to keep on consistency throughout the file format, later on, you can modify the structure of the format below in the system.
- Phone numbers: It is important to keep on the consistency so all the mobile phone numbers will have the same format. You can use one of the following formats:
- Before importing a CSV file, you should use a new file and do not use the file that’s already in use.
- Titles: Each column must have a title. Do not use special characters such as headers (bracket), “quotes”, and so on.
- All the cells below the titles must contain content
- The file must contain a column of email addresses (there is no matter to the location of the column)
Step 1 –Data importing
to reach the screen “Contacts importing” you can choose the “contacts” tab in the left toolbar:
With this adding method you can choose “copy / paste from Excel” in the system:
A window will open in the system, and there you can paste your data
Now you can go to the Excel table and copy the data. In the Excel table, you can mark the data by dragging the mouse across the table, another option for marking is to click on CTRL+A – this combination will choose all the data in the table.
*There is no need to erase the empty columns – after pasting the information in the system, the system will know to keep only the columns with the data.
Once you have chosen the data, you can copy the data into the system. That can be done by clicking on the right bottom of your mouse and by choosing “copy” or by using CTRL+C keys
Back to the system – now you can paste the data in “importing contacts to the group” window which you opened earlier in the system. That can be done by clicking on the right bottom with your mouse in the window and by choosing “paste”, or by using CTRL+V keys.
Now you can scroll the screen down and continue to step 2 – choosing the group which you want to import the contacts to.
CSV file importing
CSV file is a regular Excel file which saved in CSV format. The system accepts CSV files and maps the data that show in this file.
How to save the file?
In your Excel sheet, click “File”:
And then click “Save as”
Now you can choose where you want to save your file on your computer for example, Desktop
Then a pane which you can type in the files’ name will “pop up”
In the same pane, in the “Type save as” field you can choose the CSV format. It can be done be by choosing the CSV Comma delimited format file as shown in the following picture.
Once you have saved the file, you can start the importing process.
Click on “Add contacts” tab in the main menu bar on the left > “Add new contacts” > on the “Adding method” page, choose “Import from a CSV file”
By clicking on the link “File for example” you can see an example of the proper CSV file
Now you can choose the file that you want to import from your computer.
By clicking on “Choose file” a pane will open in which you can choose the file you want to import.
Selecting a CSV file from your computer
After choosing, the name of the file will appear in the pane
Now you can scroll the screen down and to continue to step 2 – choosing the group which you want to import your contacts to.
Step 2- choosing the group
After you have pasted the contacts details or imported the CSV file, you can choose the group which you want to import the contacts to.
You can choose a group that already exists in the account, or create a new group.
In the case of creating a new group, the group will be indicated automatically after her creation.
In addition, you can search for a group to which you want to add the
contacts, using the rectangle on which is written: “Search a group.” You can type the name of the group or part of its name, and the system will find it automatically
After choosing the group, you can click on”Continue” and go to the next step – mapping import fields.
Step 3 –Import fields mapping
The Phase of mapping import fields allows the system to recognise the data that have been imported, and to link it automatically to the right field.
For example, a column which contains email addresses will be mapped automatically to an email field which exists on every account.
In case there are fields that the system will not be able to map automatically, or if you want to choose your own fields to which you want to map the data – you can set manually the field name to which the column is mapped in the system
In the selection menu of the mapping fields, you can choose a field that already exists in the system or create a new field. Also, you can leave the field unmapped.
**Note: the system will not import data from the unmapped field.
The “email” and the “phone number for sending messages” fields are key fields. Hence, one of these two fields must be mapped. The system will not let you continue the next step if these two fields will not be mapped.
Choosing the option”Update existing contacts” (which is slowing down the importing process) will update the detail of the contacts which already exist in the account. The system will recognise the existing contacts and update the data that you have already entered and will add additional data which you have included in the file. In most cases, you should choose the “update the existing contacts” option.
You can decide not to choose this option in two modes:
- When importing an email addresses only, without additional mapping
- When importing existing contacts to a different group.
Once you have finished mapping, clicking the “Load and Continue” will begin the process of data importing. If there are fields that have not mapped, the system would send a message
To ensure that the import was carried out correctly, the process can be viewed as an import, or check the import archive which provides a detailed report on the process: