Email is still the most preferred and profitable communication channel for companies to run their marketing campaigns. Salesforce as a CRM tool for your business has all the customer data, customer communication preferences, customers interests, etc. Having the right data is important but the point lies in how you use it and design your email campaigns. In this article, we will be looking at how to improve emails and get better results out of the email campaigns that are sent through Salesforce.
For that let’s have a broad look at how the email goes through different hands. An email designed in Salesforce once sent goes through the ISP (Internet Service Providers) which checks for spam conditions, then delivers it to the customer’s email inbox. Based on the Email From Name (branding) and the attractiveness of the email subject and the email design, the customer decides to act on the email. And you track the results of the email engagement to know the results of your email campaign. So, to get better results out of an email campaign, every step in this process need to be improved i.e., the email design & content, the deliverability, and tracking.
- Build a responsive email design so the mobile users enjoy a great user experience. Use email templates and make them mobile responsive.
- Also, make sure the emails render well in most of the email clients (Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail, etc), web browsers(Chrome, Mozilla, etc), and mobile devices (iOS, Android, etc).
- Maintain consistent branding and layout throughout all your emails with a header and footer that characterizes your brand style.
- Subject lines are the most crucial. Your subject lines have to be interesting for the customer to open the email. A non-impressive subject line takes down all the efforts you put in to build the entire email content.
- The key thing in email content is “personalization”. Try to use personalization not only in the email body but also in the Subject lines. In the email include personalized offers, personalized recommended products, and related products based on their preferences. The data you have in Salesforce lists helps in personalization, targeting the right customers with the right message at the right time.
- Have a clear call-to-action (CTA) button defined in your email.
In short make the email impressive, interesting, and beautiful.
There are certain rules to be followed in the emails so the ISPs do not treat your email as Spam. Failure to do so will result in your emails being marked as spam and eventually your email domain. It will impact your IP reputation.
- Do not forget to include a mechanism for customers to opt out from your campaigns. You must process opt-out request promptly within 10 days. And the unsubscribe mechanism must be in place for at least 30 days after the mailing.
- Most importantly have a consent (opt-in) from the customer.
- Include your physical mailing address to give a sense of existence to your customers.
- Make sure the From Name and From email address are correct and reflect your brand.
Track the open rate and click rate of each individual email. Store them back in Salesforce to do your analysis – identifying what kind of campaigns are your customers interested in, which is the best and least performing campaigns. Track the key metrics as these factors help in designing your future campaigns as well. It is imperative to listen to customers, capture their preferences and use it to personalize the email messages which helps in getting better results from the email campaigns.
Email marketing is still the best communication channel in terms of ROI for companies. To get better results from an email campaign, every step in the email flow demands to be improved – right from email design, the actual email content, the deliverability of the email, the way emails are tracked and how the tracking details are put to use to design your future campaigns.